Saturday, October 8, 2011

Questions a forex trader should ask himself during the weekend

Did you trade like a drunk monkey this Friday?

As the weekend comes and I often think, "How the hell did I get here" You wake up in a daze and there, lying in bed next to you is a naked USD/JPY trade?. It looked so much better when they were drunk on the morning of Friday, during the NFP. Now you're stuck with it until Sunday afternoon. You can not call her a taxi. It seems that you will be spending another night with a trade. Maybe I did not even use protection (stop loss). Perhaps it's even pregnant...

Well, that's enough with the analogy.

Did I make money on Monday and Tuesday, and lose all of it during the rest of the week?

A lot of traders are determined to sabotage their own success. Have you ever hurt a good start of week, trading for the week? One of my friends traded profitably on Monday. He made 166 pips. His goal for the week was 250. You know what he did next? He stopped trading. He did not place any more orders during the week.

It's as if his employer gave him a check early and put him on leave for the rest of the week. Good job pal!

Did you start your week badly, but end up profitable on Friday?
This is rare. If you have done so, please answer the following questions:

Did you change the size of your trades later into the week to get your money back?
Did you focus more on your plan?
What plan did you use to get the money back? Could you do this again?

What is my plan for next week?
Are you burned? You need a few days off? What is your goal for next week? What do you want to accomplish? What have you done well in the last 3 or 4 trading weeks? How can you repeat that?

Was I lucky?
Were you lucky last week? If your trades have been considerably more losers rather than winners, how much you lost? How long would it take to earn that back? What is the trade size? You're risking too much on trade? Remember that huge commercial size feels great when things go wrong, but when things (and things always fall apart at some point), the goal is to lose as little as possible.

What would happen if I ...
Cut in half my size trade next week?
Trading stopped and rested my head for a few days?
Took 10 losses in a row on my next 10 trades? Could I survive?
Found a new interesting strategy? Would I use it to trade, or stay with what I have?

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment